Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Five Sisters Blues Cafe

If you are a fan of comfort food, then this is the place for you. A lightly decorated restaurant with bluesy jazz emitting from the speakers.

Upon being seated, a basket of hot rolls are brought out to the table. Now sweet tea usually goes well with comfort food. But, mint sweet tea is even better. It is clean and refreshing and addictive.

The menu of Five Sisters has everything from fried chicken to smothered pork chops to barbecue. They also have a soup and Gumbo of the day as well as a great selection of specials.

Today I ordered the Gumbo of the day which was Cajun sausage and green onion. It was amazing! I think it has to be the best Gumbo I have ever had. It was thick and creamy with the spiciness from the sausage and the slight crunch from the onion. Okra adds a bit of texture to blend. I even begin to say how delicious it was.

For my main meal, I ordered one of the specials. A blackened catfish over cheese grits with a side of sweet potatoes.

I do not usually eat catfish, but this was great. The fish was moist and flaky and well-seasoned. I was very
impressed with the grits. Usually when I order cheese grits with a meal, they turn out clumpy and hard. These were soft and smooth with just the right amount of cheese. The sweet potatoes were coated in a citrusy glaze with hints of brown sugar and possibly honey. They were sweet but not overly so.

For dessert I ordered the peach cobbler. It was served warm which enhanced the juicy tenderness of the peaches.

One of their appetizers is a sampler. You get fried green tomatoes, Chorizo crusted shrimp, and crab cakes. With this you get three different kinds of sauces.

Overall, the food is packed with flavor, and the atmosphere is bright and friendly.

I would give this a 4.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment